Jill McGowan, Ph.D.
Department of Mathematics
Washington DC 20059
personal web site: old page
Ph.D. (1991) University of Maryland at College Park
Research Interests: Differential Geometry
My research has primarily involved actions by Lie groups on spheres, the resulting orbit spaces, and the computation of several invariants of those orbit spaces, including their diameters and q-extents. These investigations necessitate the use of differential geometry, Lie group theory, representation theory, and Lie algebras. Currently, I am working with Catherine Searle to classify spherical orbit spaces of dimension three.
- The Diameters of 3-Sphere Quotients Differential Geometry and its Applications, December 2008, Pages 1-13 (with W. Dunbar, S. Greenwald, C. Searle).
- The Effect of Learning Communities on Achievement in STEM Fields for African Americans Across Four Campuses, Journal of Negro Education, July 2008 (with O. Taylor, J. McGowan, S. Alston).
- Evaluating the Impact of a Faculty Learning Community on STEM Teaching and Learning, Journal of Negro Education, July 2008 (with T. Smith, J. McGowan, A. Allen, W. Johnson II, L. Dickson, M. Ali and M. Peters).
- How Tightly Can You Fold A Sphere? Differential Geometry and its Applications, Volume 22, Issue 1 , January 2005, Pages 81-104 (with C. Searle).
- An Introduction to Spherical Orbit Spaces, International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 32:8, 453-469, 2002 (with C. Searle).
- Algunos Ejemplos de Espacios Orbitales Esfericos de Cohomogeneidad 2, Divulgaciones Matematicas, vol. 9, no.1, 2001, 1-23 (with C. Searle).
- Oblique and Biorthogonal Multi-wavelet Bases with Fast-Filtering Algorithms, Wavelet Applications in Signal and Image Processing III, vol. 2569, 15-26, 1995 (with A. Aldroubi).
- The Diameter Function on the Space of Space Forms, Compositio Mathematica, 87, 79-83, 1993.